Manager- Employee Benefits
Assists VP, Human Resources in the strategic planning, design and implementation of all employee benefit programs. Manages and overseas the effective administration of employee health and welfare benefits, wellness, and leaves of absence administration programs for Golden 1 Credit Union. Ensures compliance with Credit Union policies and all external rules and regulations covering areas of responsibility. Role is responsible for a team of benefits and leave administration specialists and provides direction and leadership to department staff. Proactively participates in achieving organizational and departmental strategic goals and objectives. Is part of the Human Resources Leadership team.
TASKS, DUTIES, FUNCTIONS:
- Lead the administration of employee benefits programs such as retirement plans; medical, dental, vision; life insurance plans; temporary disability programs; and wellness programs.
- Spearhead benefits coverage evaluation, negotiations with brokers and vendors, benchmarking, and cost analysis as well as policy and strategy implementation.
- Implement new plans and/or changes to existing plans by preparing announcement materials, plan summary documents and other media for communicating plans to employees. Conduct employee meetings and arrange for enrollment.
- Manage annual open enrollment including preparation and delivery of all communications.
- Enhance employee benefits communications and messages to ensure benefits are understood and valued.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements by maintaining a strict compliance schedule and continually assessing the company's benefit plans and processes.
- Oversee preparation of reports, filings, and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies.
- Under the direction of the Corporate Retirement Committee lead the 401(k) and 457(B) retirement administration meetings.
- Coordinate with the Wellness Coordinator potential suggestions on reducing overall healthcare cost.
- Oversee carrier bill reconciliation.
- Provide a strong vendor management program with all outside vendors to ensure quality and cost are reviewed on a regular basis.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of state and federal laws and regulations related to credit union compliance including bank secrecy and anti-money laundering laws appropriate to the position.
- Foster a positive and engaging work environment for each team member by promoting skill development, coaching for improvement and growth, inspiring others through your words and actions, ensuring positive employee morale throughout Golden 1, and embracing our mission, vision and core values.
- Perform other jobs as assigned by the Vice President-Human Resources, CHRO.
PHYSICAL SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EXERTION UTILIZED IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THESE TASKS:
Effective oral and written communication skills required to train and evaluate staff, interact with employees and outside vendors, prepare recommendations, company-wide memoranda and reports, make presentations and constructively follow up on employee concerns and inquiries.
- Must possess sufficient manual dexterity to skillfully operate the HR information system, personal computer and other standard office equipment, including a financial calculator, telephone and copier.
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTACTS & RELATIONSHIPS:
- INTERNAL: All levels of staff.
- EXTERNAL: Actuaries, trustees, legal counsel, plan administrators, claims adjusters, benefit representatives and vendors, brokers, vendors and peers in financial institutions.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree in related field or equivalent work experience. SPHR, CPP and/or CEBS designation preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum seven years of experience in the areas of health and welfare benefits administration, 401(k) administration for a workforce of 1,000+ employees. A minimum of four years management experience is preferred.
- Knowledge and ability to use independent judgment in regards to benefit laws and regulations as well as company policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of HRIS/Benefit enrollment portal administration.
- Solid analytical skills, critical thinking/judgment skills, and attention to detail.
- Good general math skills and strong oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to manage and lead staff to excellent performance.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products, specifically Excel, at an intermediate to advanced level.
- Must be highly organized and a team player.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Ability to handle multiple projects, adjust to shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
- Exhibits sense of urgency to tasks, where and when required.
- Ability to work well and partner with all levels of the organization.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communications.
- Prolonged sitting throughout the workday with occasional mobility required.
- Corrected vision within the normal range.
- Hearing within normal range. A device to enhance hearing will be provided if needed.
- Minimal local and statewide travel by car or public conveyance to visit branches and other off-site locations as business needs arise. Overnight and evening schedules included.
- Occasional movements throughout the department daily to interact with staff, accomplish tasks, etc.
- Ability to work long hours as required to accomplish tasks.
PHR/SPHR, SHRM-CP, CCP and/or CEBS preferred.